According to HUD, “If the animal is a dog, cat, small bird, rabbit, hamster, gerbil, other rodent, fish, turtle, or other small, domesticated animal that is traditionally kept in the home for pleasure rather than for commercial purposes, then the reasonable accommodation should be granted because the requestor has provided information confirming that there is a disability-related need for the animal. Reptiles (other than turtles), barnyard animals, monkeys, kangaroos, and other non-domesticated animals are not considered common household animals.”

Comparatively, Emotional Support Animals require no specialized training (FHEO Notice: FHEO-2013-01, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development).

Other Animals.

Individuals requesting to keep a unique type of animal that is not commonly kept in households has a substantial burden of demonstrating a disability-related therapeutic need for the specific animal or the specific type of animal.

Given this, we do not assess animals not commonly kept in households.